Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Tales Designed To Thrizzle # 1

She Dames!Snake and Bacon time travelWriter/Artist: Michael Kupperman
Publisher: Fantagraphics
Published: January 2008

I'd never heard of Michael Kupperman until I read Snake n' Bacon in a comic anthology. Snake n' Bacon, are just that, a snake and a piece of bacon, who both say "ssssss." It doesn't get much more complicated than that when it comes to Tales Designed to Thrizzle. The issue is divided into 3 sections: Adult, Kids, and Old People.

Jokes of pube stencilsThe Adults section which, among other topics, discusses ancient methods of getting it on, and pubic hair stencils. It also has some other tales that aren't sex related, but let's not kid ourselves, adult tales are for adults because it has things we never want to talk about with kids, namely where kids came from (one night when the power was cut and a case of sever horny-ness set in), how it happened (bow chicka bow bow), and why as much as we like, we can't return em'.

Cowboys duke it out to decideThe Kids Section has a tale entitled "Sherlock Holmes versus Jungle Boy" which involves Holmes using a magnifying glass and a mirror to cut Jungle Boy's vine. Finally the Old Peoples Section has a great comic called: "Are Comics Serious Literature?"

The entire comic is filled with all sorts of funny stuff, and as much as I try to be funny, I can't compete, so you might as well go out and read this issue.

Now, speaking of bacon, kids and old people, on my crackbook.com I have a group that I admin and one of the topics I posted was: "Are we forgetting how to cook?" I thought today's comic and this article I wrote synced up in almost every way minus the adult sex stuff. To remedy this lack of total cohesion, I edited it a tad so that all the adult readers would have something to look forward too.


Are we forgetting how to cook?

Maybe I'm speaking out of line, but I find that our generation as opposed to our parents and grandparents don't know how to cook or bake. I mean, I can only cook about four meals from scratch, and even then, I need store bought sauces or flavors.

Maybe it's that we live in faster paced times, or maybe it's the convenience of box foods that are, well, too convenient. Don't think this is a judgment of mine to associate box foods with not being able to cook, because I know from experience some of those Lean Cuisines microwave instructions are more complicated than an engineering manual.

I guess it doesn't matter if we can't cook in the traditional sense, but one of my concerns is that some of the foods that define our lives and that we ate with our folks and grand folks are going to be lost over time. How many people can you name that could recite from memory the home made rolls recipe their parents made them every holiday? To go a bit further, how many people even know how to prepare their own canned goods? Certainly not me, which is worrisome cause when the Zombie Apocalypse strikes I'm fucked.

So, I guess my point is: even though I or any of us may never cook/bake like our parents/grandparents did, either by choice or circumstance, I think it is important that this knowledge never disappear. This holiday season, take a moment and ask your folks how they made those foods that you're sick and tired of eating every year.

Gimme a break.
Gimme a break.
Gimme a break of that SBBQ.

I know, lame, almost anti-climatic after my setup, but you try and think of something sex related after talking about family and food.

See ya tomorrow! I'll try and be at least 10% funnier.


More Comix 365 articles:  

Batman Dark City
Patsy Walker Hellcat

No comments: