Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Zombie Tales # 5

Writers: William Messner-Loebs, Ian Brill, Brian Augustyn
Artists: Matt Cossin, Leno Carvalho, Jason Ho
Published: August 2008
Publisher: Boom! Studios

Z is for "it's the end of the world!"

Zombies, zombies, zombies, what's life without zombies? Well I'll tell ya - bor-ring!

Zombie Tales # 5 is surprisingly good. I didn't expect much, considering that zombies have been on the comic scene for some time now, but the 3 short tales included in this issue have a definite unique slant.

The first tale, He ain't Heaven, He's My Brother, concerns a devoted sister who takes her zombie brother to a televangelist for a $50 cure. The second tale, Sanctuary, is about an jaded atheist's who is on the run from zombie monsters, and seeks shelter in the last place she would consider, a church. Finally the last tale, Bait, is just that. A story about using a loved one as bait, but not in the traditional sense (if using loved ones as bait could be considered traditional.) The art is fantastic, and the stories reminded me of shortened tales straight out of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. If you've seen any Alfred Hitchcock, you'll know what I mean.

There is a site called PostSecret, and the site is all about secrets. People send in postcards that has a secret written down they've never told anyone. I got really into the site for about a week, and would obsessively look at peoples "secrets." I got a bit turned off by the whole affair. I could never figure out a good secret I would want to send in. Also, some of the secrets seemed a bit pretentious, too "arty" for my tastes, and some were just too sad. However, once and a while I would stumble across a real gem. While it's not exactly zombie specific, it certainly captures my inner desire if the zombie apocalypse took place. That would be my time to shine.Ah who am I kidding, I'd be one of the first ones down. That's it. My big postsecret would be: "I secretly fear the day the zombies take over that I'd be one of the first ones eaten, and that my experiments with monkeys and cheese drink would be the cause of the zombie apocalypse. Serves me right though. Nobody should mess with cheese drink. Ever."

No comments: