Sunday, February 1, 2009

Solo # 8: Teddy Kristiansen

Writers: Teddy Kristiansen, Neil Gaiman, Steven Seagle
Artist: Teddy Kristiansen
Publisher: DC
Published: February 2006

Today being the first of the month, I just had to get another Solo issue on this site. Teddy Kristiansen is not the typical comic cartoonist. His artwork doesn't have the snap, crackle, and pop of Jack Kirby or the polish of Alex Ross, but instead has a dreamy surreal quality...each panel is more like a single painting.

There are 5 stories included in this Solo issue. The first one has Deadman in a sentimental mood. The second has a missionary being saved from headhunters by quoting from the good book, Wuthering Heights. The third tale is about a humid summer crush, and the fourth is about ruins. Finally the last tale is about some explorers in Antarctica being trapped and the story follows their decline and eventual deaths.

I must admit I was a bit disappointed with this Solo issue. I'm not a huge fan of painted comics, (aside from Kingdom Come and Brereton work), and I found the stories "tried too hard." But much like Pokemon, I gotta have em' all!



No comments: