Sunday, February 22, 2009

Gumby's Summer Fun Special

Writer: Bob Burden
Artist: Art Adams
Publisher: Comico
Published: July 1987

Gumby's Summer Fun Adventure is just that: Gumby and Pokey have a series of adventures. This issue is like the goulash of comics. It's got Halloween monsters, popped-eyed aliens, robots, a werewolf, pirates, space bears, and one really depressed suicidal couch potato (he's my favorite).

To the best of my recollection, I don't know if I watched Gumby as a child, but if this comic is any indication of the type of genres Gumby ventured into, I'm saddened by the joy's I may have missed. The issue follows Gumby and Pokey as they play with some robot kids, are attacked by aliens and a werewolf, go to Halloween town, and Gumby becomes a pirate captain. As I mentioned the best is when they visit Wooster, who has tied strings to his lightening rod, because he has given up on life. Also Pokey gets drunk.

This is when childhood ends.


"Ain't nuthin' but a G thang"

No comments: